VR Applications: Virtual Reality in Design Departments
February 17, 2019
Virtual Reality (as well as Augmented Reality) is increasingly present in companies and businesses of all kinds. A technology in the spotlight that allows us to work in a more efficient, visual and interactive way. And a great example of this is the design departments, which benefit from Virtual Reality to be able to better visualise the work done.
How is Virtual Reality used in design departments?
Thanks to Virtual Reality, graphic designers can have a better visual experience when they want to turn their own designs into reality. The usefulness of Virtual Reality, in this field, is based on being able to visualise the final result of a design much better, before making the final physical product. This function can be applied to the design of vehicles, clothing, prostheses, roads and all kinds of infrastructures, products or even services.
Virtual Reality is applied once the designers have created a first digital prototype: first, the designers create the design of their product on a computer and then this design is transferred to Virtual Reality, where they can see the design in detail, from all possible angles and perspectives. The visualisation of the design in Virtual Reality can even be shown to the end customer, so that they can enjoy a fully immersive experience of their next product. Once the design has been validated through its visualisation in Virtual Reality, you can start to execute the designed project and create the final product.
Benefits of applying Virtual Reality in design departments
Thanks to Virtual Reality, both design departments and designers in general can benefit from great advantages that other traditional design departments do not have:
- The designs made can be seen and tested through Virtual Reality, to feel them in a more real way and to know how they will be executed in reality. It also creates a more complete and immersive user experience, in which the client can explore the result from all angles and in real size.
- With the possibility of seeing the design through Virtual Reality, we will be able to detect possible errors and/or modifications, without having to redesign the work once it has already been executed and reducing the design risk of the product. In the same way, the "time to market" is also reduced, increasing the agility and speed of the project.
- In addition, design departments that use Virtual Reality can better position themselves as technology companies, gaining a more than positive reputation and offering their clients a very innovative way of visualisation.
Other applications of Virtual Reality in the workplace
There are many benefits of Virtual Reality in the design departments of any company. But nowadays, Virtual Reality is also being used in our country as a new work tool in many other sectors:
- Logistics and warehouse management
- Simulation of dangerous situations
- Industrial maintenance
- Cultural heritage
- Advanced information visualisation
- Product catalogue
- Training and protocol
The intention of Virtual Reality is to continue to cover large work sectors, helping workers to grow professionally and technologically and to make their work more effective. In time, all companies will have to adapt to the digital changes that are presented to us, betting on new technologies (such as Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality in this case) that allow us to work more efficiently, moving away from the more traditional methods and improving our work results.
Do you need more information about any of our solutions or would you like us to assess you on how to integrate Industry 4.0 technologies into your company?